Our Gallery, specializing in the arts of the Ancient East and of the Islamic Civilization, was founded in Paris, in the Hotel Drouot district, at the dawn of the 20th century, by Carnig Kevorkian and was later established at its current address on the left bank of the Seine, in 1923. The torch was taken up by his daughter Annie in 1963, then by his granddaughter Corinne since 2006.
The communicative passion, selective eye and unalterable commitment of these three generations of dealers and experts in the promotion of these arts, often relatively unknown to the general public, contributed to widening the circle of their amateurs and participated in the birth and growth of some of the finest private and institutional collections around the world in these fields.
Achaemenid lapis lazuli lion’s head
Height: 4.2 cm; Length: 5 cm
Iran, Achaemenid dynasty, circa 5th century BC
Roaring lion’s head carved in the round. The beast’s mouth, agape and bordered by a delicate raised rib, reveals two rows of aligned fangs. Parallel folds frame its muzzle. Its bulging eyes are almond-shaped. The mane forms a circular collar incised with striations and interrupted by two ears, plastered back on each side of the head.
- Former collection of Georges Gorse (1915-2002), French ambassador and former Minister
- Hôtel Drouot, Paris, October 24, 1989: lot number 3
- Private French collection
TO THE LIST OF THE EXHIBITORS